October 15, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #41 (October 7 to 13)
Food: - Sri Lankan curry at cojicoji, Mito
- Shrimp and saag paneer curries at Good Luck Curry, Shibuya
- Chocolate & coffee gelati at Gelateria e Cioccolateria Vitali, Jiyūgaoka
Music events: - On October 7, I briefly dropped by a block party event held in Jiyūgaoka. Jintana & Emeralds performed a short but sweet set! They played original favorites "Honey", "Runaway" and "Destiny", and also a cover of "There she goes" (The La's). All kinds of people gathered to enjoy beats and bites, and it felt good to hear such good music from that party echoing in the streets, even as far as the station a few blocks away. It would have been nice to spend the day there, but I had another plan shortly afterwards... (see below)
- I went to Vanilla Beans' 10th anniversary show! Congratulations!! It was held at Duo Music Exchange in Shibuya. They had made it into a seated venue, although everyone stood up and danced throughout the show. The set list was quite straightforward, pretty much all of their singles in an almost chronological order, at least in the order of labels they've been through (Tokuma Japan, T-Palette and now Avex). I've been a big fan since the very beginning so I remember all of those steps they've been through. I hope they will continue again for a long time.
Right now they've just begun a tour of all of Japan's Tower Records, doing in-store mini-live shows at each of over 70 stores in promotion of their upcoming "Vani Best II" greatest hits album to be released on December 6. The limited edition will contain some live footage from the 10th anniversary show.
Set list: Nicola / sakasaka Circus / U ♥ Me / Love & Hate / D & D / toki no kakera / Choco Mint Flavor Time / Non-Section / Muscat Slope Love / watashi... fukō guse / Please Me Darlin' / uchōten Girl / onna wa sore o gaman shinai / Night and Fly / Style and Council / Beanius / sweet life
Encore: Tokyo wa yoru no 7ji / Summer vacation
- I dropped by HMV record shop Shinjuku Alta for an in-store mini-live by Gallantique Kazue, whose recital I had once seen a long time ago (in 2009). She sang songs from her two new releases: "yoru ni okiru Patron" written by Kashif and "kagayaite Night Flight" written by Gary Ashiya (info). Nagata Kazunao accompanied as DJ, since his label ExT Recordings just released "yoru ni okiru Patron" on 7". I bought that 7" and got it autographed by Kazue. I really want to see her recital again sometime!
Set list: yoru ni okiru Patron / kagayaite Night Flight / hateshinaki yokubo / yoru ni okiru Patron (Cherryboy Function Remix)
Music release news: Gallantique Kazue, Hikashu, Aira Mitsuki
This week's videos:
Nomiya Maki "fuyu ga hajimaru yo" (Video edit ver.)
Nomiya Maki "Winter's Tale ~fuyu monogatari~" (Video edit ver.)
October 8, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #40 (September 30 to October 6)
Food: - Coffee, cheesecake & chocolate ice cream @ TiKi TaKa Ice Cream by Sarutahiko Coffee, Shinjuku
- Great steak & more at Shonzui, Roppongi
Music events: - For a short period Tokyo Midtown was host of the unique Ark Nova mobile inflatable concert hall installation, a work of architect Arata Isozaki and artist Anish Kapoor created to support recovery of the East Japan Earthquake. Read more about it here. We had the chance to watch a concert by Lucerne Festival-related musicians Reinhold Friedrich (trumpet), Takezawa Eriko (piano) and Andrea Loetscher (flute). They played a selection of pieces by Ravel, Shchedrin, Piazzolla, Falla, Moszkowski and Bizet. The beautiful music in this special place made for a very nice evening.
- On October 3rd was the 10th anniversary of Vanilla Beans' debut (single "U ♥ Me" released on October 3, 2007), and a special event was held on the roof of the Marui department store in Shibuya! They did a mini-live and also announced the release of their 2nd greatest hits album, "Vani Best II", which will include a brand new version of "Tokyo wa yoru no 7ji" produced by none other than Konishi Yasuharu! I can't wait to hear this!
I got a special 10th anniversary badge, and an autographed coaster at the cafe of the same building that was doing related promotion! :)
Set list: Tokyo wa yoru no 7ji / sakasaka Circus / U ♥ Me / Summer Vacation
Movie: Went to see "Zen and Bones", directed by Nakamura Takayuki. The documentary movie is about the life of half-Japanese half-American Buddhist priest Henry Mittwer (1918-2012), and follows him up to his very last days. Interviews with the man himself and also family members are paced with drama scenes that retell episodes of his life. The movie also focused on his obsession with making a movie about a girl with red shoes, of which a statue can be found in Yokohama, where he was born.
This movie's soundtrack is also very good, with artists including Nomiya Maki, Tablet Jun, Yokoyama Ken, Kishino You-ichi and Comoesta Yaegashi.
Music release news: "Godzilla Legend V", marino, fox capture plan, CTO LAB., tofubeats, Punpee, Stardust Brothers, Manon, Nomiya Maki, Yashiro Aki
This week's video: Manon "Popcorn Crisis"
Song produced by Yuppa (HNC) & video directed by onnacodomo!
September 30, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #39 (September 23 to 29)
Food: - Fish & chicken curries at Indo Fujiko, Kōenji
- Soft serve ice cream at Fukushimaya, Akihabara
Music events: - I went to see SOLEIL's in-store mini-live at HMV record shop Shinjuku Alta, following the release of first single "Pinky Fluffy"! Singer Soleil, bassist & producer Sally Kubota (Sally Soul Stew, Les 5-4-3-2-1, ex-Phantom Gift) and guitarist Nakamori Yasuhiro (Hicksville, Sally Soul Stew) performed on stage. The first played "Pinky Fluffy" (music by Takanami K-taro) and then "Breakout" (cover of Swing Out Sister), which was followed by an encore of "Pinky Fluffy" one more time. I bought the single there and got autographs by all three members. Yay!! :)
A release party will be held on October 15 at Shinjuku Red Cloth from 17:00. I can't wait!
- I went to "Delica Lab" at Batica in Ebisu, a regular event organized by Nakatsuka Takeshi (Qypthone). This time the other bands playing were Somethiing New (piano + trumpet duo), it's Me. (the recent unit of Ookawara Izumi and Hossy) and Small Circle of Friends! All were great! As always the event's schedule is quite busy, with 20-minute live sets on the 2nd floor in-between which there are 20-minute DJ sets on the 1st floor. Lots of good music!
On the way out I got Studio75 (aka SCOF)'s "Coffee Shop Card" CD, which comes packed in a coffee pouch. It contains 30 different beats made with 30 of their favorite coffee shops (and bars, etc.) in mind. The two, Azuma and Satsuki, were very nice to autograph it for me!
Nakatsuka Takeshi set list: niji o mita kai / Rhythm / Prism / toki no kiseki
Music release news: Pizzicato Five, kataomoi
This week's video: SOLEIL "Breakout" & "Pinky Fluffy" in-store live at HMV record shop Shinjuku Alta
September 23, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #38 (September 17 to 22)
Food: - Sanma (Pacific saury), liver & lemon, autumnal eggplant curries at Tapir, Shin-Okubo
- Victoria sponge cake at Kies, Nishi-Ogikubo
- Curry doria and salt-grilled tuna at Kitchen Ohnami, Kichijōji
- Mac'n'cheese at Good Meals Shop, Shibuya
Music release news: The Lady Spade, "Zen and Bones" Original Soundtrack, Meet The Hopes, Kaede (Negicco), Boomdigi, Cornelius, "Sweets Wonderland"
This week's video: Aira Mitsuki "Future in Loop"
September 17, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #37 (September 9 to 15)
Food: - Meatballs at World Meatball Classic, Shinjuku-gyoenmae
- Chocolate & salt milk ice cream at Tomihisa Ice Cream, Shinjuku
- Coffee and happy cat time at Café Arles, Shinjuku
Music events: - Last weekend was a special edition of party "Cult Club". It was held in the afternoon at Shimokitazawa Cage, part of an Asobisystem-related event. There was a special appearance by Fukuoka model Manon who recently started a singing career, with cool tracks produced by HNC. Her first 7" single "xxFANCYPOOLxx" had just been released. Manon sang all of her three songs ("xxFANCYPOOLxx", "Beat the Bad Luck" and "Wavy Pineapple Days"), giving a fun performance as she danced and posed for the many cameras, while HNC played some live keys! I also got to see rap units Yomeiri Land and Dreamcast, and also DJ sets by HNC and Threepee Boys.
- I dropped by an event at Journal Standard Shibuya that featured Nomiya Maki! Accompanied by DJ Tomizawa Noboru, also her long-time make-up artist, she sang "Tokyo wa yoru no 7ji", "Shibuya de 5ji", "Un homme et une femme" and "Sweet Soul Revue"! That was a short & sweet set in a beautiful decor! I also caught the end of a performance by Saitō Neko & Venus Kawamura Yuki.
Music release news: De De Mouse, "Ace 2" & "Ace ep" (J-Pop compilations by Konishi Yasuharu)
September 10, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #36 (September 2 to 8)
Food: - "Canadian size" poutine at Robson Fries, Shimokitazawa
- Horse meat & more at Ōhashi-shōten no tonari shokudō, Daitabashi. Great food and BGM!
Music event: I went to the release party live show for Wakita Monari's album "I am ONLY"! It was held at clubasia in Shibuya, and the place was packed! Monari was backed by a full band (guitar, bass, keyboards and drums) for the first time in her solo career, and together they performed all of the songs from the album, no exception! I've been enjoying the album a lot, and this made me realize even more how all the songs are so good. As always Monari's singing was amazing! There was also an acoustic part where Hase Yasuhiro (Yume To Cosme) accompanied on piano for three covers.
Set list: Cloudless Night / Irony / Est! Est!! Est!!! / Nakimushi Revolution / inori no kotoba / Tonight, the Night (Bonnie Pink cover) / Circus Night (Nanao Tavito cover) / Joy (Yuki cover) / I'm with you / Dippin' / anone,,, / akai Skirt / yoake no View / Boy Friend
Encore: In the City
The release of her next single was also announced, "Wingscape" produced by Count Joke, out on November 22! And another show with the same band will be held on December 15 at Roppongi Varit. These flowers were sent by Mori Erika (ex-Especia).
Music release news: Cutemen, Lucky Tapes, TRI4TH, Kaseki Cider & The Natsuyasumi Band, Ōzawa Kenji to Sekai No Owari, neco nemuru
This week's video: YMCK "Come on! Swing all stars" live performance from their show last February
September 3, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #35 (August 26 to September 1)
Food: - Tapir event at Watering Hole, Yoyogi
- Hamburger at The Counter, Roppongi
- Oden, etc. at Shōwa-kayō oden restaurant Denden, Kudanshita
- Chocolate mint, chocolate and pistachio ice cream at Tomohisa Ice Cream, Shinjuku
Music event: I went to see hitomitoi's concert for her latest album "Ecstasy", at Billboard Live Tokyo! While the album is mainly synthesizers, entirely produced by Dorian, for the show the songs were performed by a live band. 7 songs from "Ecstasy" were played, as well as some other favorites. Dorian and guitarist Kashif also appeared as guests for a few songs each. I love watching Dorian play live synth solos, plus he even sang chorus, maybe for the first time ever on stage? (Just my guess.) :) That was a really great show!
Set list: Dive / Serpent Coaster / Flash of Light / Dolphin (w/ Dorian) / Let it Out (w/ Dorian) / Discotheque Sputnik (w/ Dorian) / Prismatic (w/ Kashif) / natsu kōsen, kira. (w/ Kashif) / Moonlight / Swept Away / Varadero via L.A
Encore: koi wa omoi no mama (w/ Dorian & Kashif)
Music release news: Manon, Crazy Ken Band, Soleil
This week's video: Soleil "Pinky Fluffy / Breakout" debut single sampler clip
August 26, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #34 (August 19 to 25)
Food: - Curry dinner at Dhaba★Kunitachi
- Pineapple mille-feuilles at Matsuki
- Annual "hiyajiru" (cold soup) set at Tapir
- Ice cream at à tes souhaits glaces & chocolat
Music event: I went to a free event by Kero Kero Bonito, who were in town for Summer Sonic and to promote their latest album "Bonito Generation". It was held at Space Odd in Daikanyama, it was my first time there and it's a quite nice venue! The opening act was chelmico, a cool 2-girl MC rap unit that I heard for the first time. Kero Kero Bonito were just as awesome as expected! Full of energy! It was my first time seeing them too, although I have been a fan for several years. I think I first heard of them in the Love and Hates' remix contest for which I had also done a remix. I've always had a special familiar feeling for them ever since. Thanks for that great fun show! :)
Music release news: Magokoro Bros, Chelip, Toshiyuki Yasuda
This week's videos:
Manon "Wavy Pineapple Days" (better viewed on mobile phone!)
(Produced by Yuppa (HNC)!)
Kero Kero Bonito "Forever Summer Holiday"
August 20, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #33 (August 12 to 18)
Music event: I went to dahlia's release party for latest album "MIRROR" (released in February)! I've been listening to the new album a lot, and also I still had memories of having a great time at a previous show 10 years ago (report), so I had been really looking forward to this event.
dahlia was accompanied on stage by producer Groove Unchant, guitarist Horasawa Tōru (of band The Bookmarcs which will release a first full-length album in November) and flutist Yoshida Kazuo). The set began with 4 songs from "MIRROR", followed by the nice surprise of three songs from "le mode d'emploi" (2003), and then closing with a song from previous album "Nude Lumière" (2008). While some songs were performed with a backtrack, some were played acoustically specially arranged for the show.
Nicely paced with dahlia's soothing talk between some of the songs, this made for a very pleasant show. I hope there will be more opportunities to hear her sing live again soon, and I keep looking forward to more new music from this artist who I like a lot.
Set list: kūchū fuyū / KIKKAH ~boku no utsukushii hito~ / RENEWER / ciel blanc / the measles / lilic / flower / Scent
Music release news: Momoko Motion, Crazy Ken Band, Nomiya Maki, Monsieur Kamayatsu, PARKGOLF, Perfume, "Throw Away Your CDs Go Out To A Show"
This week's video:
"You Make Shibuya (Bon odori ver.)" sung by Nomiya Maki
Momoko Motion "Suppai Budou"
August 12, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 weeks #31-32 (July 29 to August 11)
Food: - Steak tartare and T-bone steak at BLT Steak, Roppongi
- Pork slider, spicy chicken, fish & chips and chocolate cake at Bespoque, Higashi-Nakano
- Ice cream at Dandelion Chocolate, Kuramae
- South Indian dinner at South Park, Asakusa
Music events: - On July 30 was an in-store event at HMV record shop Shinjuku Alta, featuring Wakita Monari, whose album "I am ONLY" had just been released! Her set focused on album tracks, excluding all of her previous singles with the exception of the last song, "Boy Friend". I've been enjoying this first solo album a lot!
Set list: Irony / Dippin' / inori no kotoba / nakimushi no Revolution / Boy Friend
- On Sunday August 6 I went to the World Happiness festival! It was the 10th edition, and the first time it was held at Kasai Rinkai Park. Some of the acts I especially enjoyed were (in order of appearance) Kotringo, Miyauchi Yuri, Itō Seikō with Dubforce (feat. Scha Dara Parr & Takagi Kan), Takenaka Naoto (with Takagi Kan and Araki Yūko), Denki Groove, Towa Tei, and Takahashi Yukihiro (feat. Suzuki Keiichi, Sunahara Yorhinori, Horie Hirohisa, ...). Takahashi Yukihiro's set featured actress Non for a cover of "Time Machine ni onegai" (Sadistic Mika Band), and the encore had all of Metafive plus Itō Seikō. That was a really great event! It was very very hot though, and I ended with a bit of a sunburn.
Denki Groove set list: Ningen President / Fallin' Down / Puerto Rico No HITorIKKO / Ichigo-Musume / Missing Beatz / Shameful / CATV2017
- And on August 11, a public holiday (since last year) called Mountain Day, was summer festival "Shibuya no Natsu-matsuri"! I was able to catch DJ Kawanabe Hiroshi and then a solo live performance by Tajima Takao (Original Love)! That was awesome! :)
Exhibition: Went to see solo exhibition 「1マス戻る」 by Okano Akiko (also known as the great curry chef at Tapir). This time all of her works were painted using just toothpicks! It's almost hard to believe as many of the pieces are quite large, with repetitive patterns that must have taken a lot of patience. The toothpicks she used were also turned into art pieces by being stuck together.
Music release news: Wednesday Campanella, Omisohan to Richakohan / Vanilla Beans, Kaseki Cider, WHY@DOLL, P.O.P, Sunaga Tatsuo (compilation), Emerson Kitamura
This week's videos:
P.O.P "Kiss Me"
Kaseki Cider "Kung-Fu Dance"
Wednesday Campanella "Yuta / Nero / Unico (Live)"
Continue reading in the July 2017 Archives.
Next entry: "Weekly revue: 2017 weeks #29-30 (July 15 to 28)" (July 30, 2017 at 20:44)
2017: October September August July June May April March February January
2016: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2015: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2014: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2013: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2012: December November October September August July June May April March February
2011: November October May April March
2010: August May April March February January
2009: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2008: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2007: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2006: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2005: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2004: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2003: December November October September August July