Blog - February 2012 Archives
February 2012 Archives
February 26, 2012
Weekly revue: 2012 week #08 (February 18 to 24)
Exhibition: "Baby Alone", Jane Birkin by Kajino Shoichi (L'appareil-photo bis). Kajino-san is even more involved with the French scene than I thought! At Pola Museum Annex in Ginza until March 11.
Shopping: On Friday I went to Pass The Baton in Omotesando where personal items of Nomiya Maki are currently being displayed and sold. I got 2 books. One is called "Flashback Shibuya" (from around 1994), it's packaged like a record so I wasn't too sure what I was buying, but I was sure I wouldn't see it anywhere else. The only photo of Maki is the one of the cover, but the book itself is quite nicely done. The other is a free magazine called Bento from around 2003 with a few photos of Maki. Many of her stage outfits are also being sold. The display is on until March 25.
- Last weekend I had Czech food for the first time (I think), at a restaurant called Sedmikrasky in Yoyogi-Uehara. It was very good!
- Bought cute cat and lion cookies at efuca, haven't eaten them yet. :)
- In Shibuya, I tried coffee from Gooz, which a colleague told me about. It's self-service but it's as cheap as 136yen and you get to choose from about 8 flavors!
Playlist: Kinbara Chieko early albums, and the latest by Nomiya Maki, Takanami K-taro and capsule. Also heard the news of a new Portable Rock album (live + 2 new songs) coming next month, which prompted me to revisit "QT+1". Can't wait for the new capsule being released on March 7!
Music release news: Crazy Ken Band and Polysics. See Tokyo's Coolest Sound for all the info.
February 18, 2012
Weekly revue: 2012 week #07 (February 11 to 17)
This blog has been too quiet as of late, even though I've been posting things on Facebook, Flickr, my music news site Tokyo's Coolest Sound, etc. So I'm trying this new format to put highlights on some things that have went on during a week.
Happy news: I had made a remix for Love And Hates' remix contest that ended Feb. 7, handing it in almost at the last minute, and it received the "Toy Pop Award"!!! This made me smile all week! :) Check it out, and also the other great remixes!
New music: I got Takanami K-taro's new album with new unit Playtime Rock. This is a lot more pop than his other recent albums with Nangasaki Five. great stuff! Nearly half of the album is instrumental jazz by trombonist Shibata Kenichi, also very good.
- I also got hold of 3 albums from 2011 that I had missed checking out but was still curious about: Harvard "Hahvahd", Macdonald Duck Eclair "kono tokimeki imasugu", and Merpeoples "Metropolis", all of which I felt should grow on me after a few listens.
Music release news: Kinbara Chieko, Calmera, YMO, Okamura Yasuyuki remastered by Sunahara Yoshinori, Negicco, Shinohara Tomoe, ... see Tokyo's Coolest Sound for all the info.
TV: I got to watch Kyary Pamyu Pamyu of SMAPxSMAP, sang "tsukematsukeru" together (skip to 1:20). SMAP were really singing, but how about her?!
Fun stuff: Special site where Nomiya Maki revisits 30 outfits from her 30-year career.
- U.S. TV show The BJ Rubin Show featured bits of Mark Robinson (from 2:35) and Cotton Candy (from 13:30). Fun stuff but this show makes me quite dizzy! This show gets aired on Manhattan local channel MNN2, it seems.
Tech: I made a user script that creates a "." (dot) keyboard shortcut on the Facebook home page to go back to the top and load any new entries. The "." shortcut works just like Twitter's so that's great! Get it here. (Firefox users need the Greasemonkey add-on first.)
I'll try to post like this every weekend, and a week's span starts on the previous Saturday. Usually it will probably be a bit shorter.