Blog - May 2017 Archives
May 2017 Archives
May 29, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #21 (May 20 to 26)
Food: - Thali at Dhaba Kunitachi! This new restaurant finally opened last month. Congratulations!
- Eton mess at Borton, Kunitachi
- Salmon curry at Shake Stand, Daitabashi
- Maguro burger & hot dog at Matsuki, Nakano. Normally only open for dinner, this was a monthly lunch event, in collaboration with Watering Hole from Yoyogi.
Music release news: J.A.M, Muro
This week's videos:
BUBBLE-B feat. Enjo-G "bakuso Minivan ~Highway Star~"
suiyōbi no Campanella "Melos"
May 21, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #20 (May 13 to 19)
Food: - Curry lunch at Tapir, Shin-Ōkubo
- Bak kut teh & paper chicken @ Malay fūkō bishoku, Ogikubo
Music events: - I went to "wamono meeting vol.6" at Shibuya Kissa Smile! The DJ event featured Comoesta Yaegashi, DJ Fukutake, Itō Yōichirō (Akakage) & more, plus special guest Konishi Yasuharu! I was happy to hear the original of "Cinderella Liberty" (a song by Yokoyama Ken's old band Cools R.C., recently covered by Nomiya Maki) which DJ Fukutake began his set with. Konishi-san's set was his signature (of the recent years) fast-paced 7" mixing, selecting and mixing the next song in about 30 seconds. That was a very fun event with lots of good groovy Japanese music.
- Also went to North Indian classical music "Indian Classics Tokyo 2017" at the Suginami Public Hall in Ogikubo. The show consisted of two pieces, a night raga and a late night/midnight raga, each close to an hour duration. The first featured Terahara Tarō on bansuri, Ty Burhoe on tabla and Izawa Makiko on tambura. The second featured Steve Oda on sarode, U-zhaan on tabla, and Ikeda Ayako on tambura. There was also an encore with all musicians playing an Indian folk song.
That was a great concert, probably my first time seeing sarode, an impressive stringed instrument, and also getting to see two of Zakir Hussain's tabla students. The 2nd piece with Steve & U-zhaan was especially mesmerizing! This show also made me intrigued about tambura, an instrument that has an important role in Indian music sound. Checking the merchandise, I randomly bought a tape by Furukawa Miki & U-zhaan, which turned out to be a very recent release of two Japanese traditional songs performed with tabla. Very good!
Music release news: Shibata Satoko, Scha Dara Parr & Ego-Wrappin'
This week's video:
Dustin Wong & Takako Minekawa "Elastic Astral Peel"
suiyōbi no Campanella "Unico"
May 14, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #19 (May 6 to 12)
Food: - Tokugawa Shogun cafe latte at Saza Coffee
- Sri Lankan curry lunch at Acala.naatha
Music event: I went to event "City Pop Connection" held at Kabuki Lounge, in Kabukichō, Shinjuku. Mainly a DJ event feat. DJs Ikegami Takashi, Gō, and Kanazawa Yoshikazu (selector/supervisor of "Light Mellow" compilation series), there was also a mini-live of singer Wakita Monari (ex-Especia)! The small venue was very crowded, so much that it was sometimes a bit difficult to walk around, but it was definitely a fun event with many friendly people. Monari did a set of her own songs, including the great unreleased "est est est", plus a cover of Count Joke, and later she sang a Japanese cover of Kylie Minogue's "I should be so lucky" (as sung by Wada Kanako in 1988). That was great! The show also served as a demo of the "Lyric Speaker", a cool device that shows lyrics as songs are played.
Wakita Monari set list: LED (original by Count Joke aka jōdan hakushaku) / est est est / akai Skirt / In the City / anone / Boy Friend
& later: Lucky Love (Japanese cover of Kylie Minogue's "I should be so lucky")
Music release news: microstar, The Boom, Towa Tei, tofubeats, little moa, Smooth Ace, Mocche Nagai
This week's video: Cornelius "anata ga iru nara (If You're Here)"
May 5, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #18 (April 29 to May 5)
Outing: - Went to see the sea of nemophilas at Hitachi Seaside Park in Ibaraki. Beautiful! The place was very crowded as it's just the best time to see them, and also it's Golden Week.
Music events: - On Saturday April 29, I went to Asakusa Golden Tiger for the release party of the first 7" single of Mary & the Flying Bowties, a new band fronted by Sara Mary of Learners. DJing were Chabe and Comoesta Yaegashi, and there was also a performance by Comoesta's recent unit "Comoesta Yaegashi with Golden Oriente" that features some exotic and sexy dancing.
- Also I went to an in-store event by The Nyantokanyaru's, idol unit of Eve-nyan (also of Kit Cat) and Ao-nyan (aka Sorano Aozora) produced by Dr.Usui. They sang all three songs from their first EP. After the show there was a photo session where I had my photo taken with Eve-nyan. :)
Music release news: Kashif, The Nyantokanyaru's, "Game ongaku taizen Revolution" (Book by YMCK et al.), Gallantique Kazue, "'Tasha Tudor - a still water story' Soundtrack" (sione, world's end girlfriend, ...), Yogee New Waves
This week's video: The Nyantokanyaru's "chikyū ga tonikaku kawatteru"