Blog - August 2017 Archives
August 2017 Archives
August 26, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #34 (August 19 to 25)
Food: - Curry dinner at Dhaba★Kunitachi
- Pineapple mille-feuilles at Matsuki
- Annual "hiyajiru" (cold soup) set at Tapir
- Ice cream at à tes souhaits glaces & chocolat
Music event: I went to a free event by Kero Kero Bonito, who were in town for Summer Sonic and to promote their latest album "Bonito Generation". It was held at Space Odd in Daikanyama, it was my first time there and it's a quite nice venue! The opening act was chelmico, a cool 2-girl MC rap unit that I heard for the first time. Kero Kero Bonito were just as awesome as expected! Full of energy! It was my first time seeing them too, although I have been a fan for several years. I think I first heard of them in the Love and Hates' remix contest for which I had also done a remix. I've always had a special familiar feeling for them ever since. Thanks for that great fun show! :)
Music release news: Magokoro Bros, Chelip, Toshiyuki Yasuda
This week's videos:
Manon "Wavy Pineapple Days" (better viewed on mobile phone!)
(Produced by Yuppa (HNC)!)
Kero Kero Bonito "Forever Summer Holiday"
August 20, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #33 (August 12 to 18)
Music event: I went to dahlia's release party for latest album "MIRROR" (released in February)! I've been listening to the new album a lot, and also I still had memories of having a great time at a previous show 10 years ago (report), so I had been really looking forward to this event.
dahlia was accompanied on stage by producer Groove Unchant, guitarist Horasawa Tōru (of band The Bookmarcs which will release a first full-length album in November) and flutist Yoshida Kazuo). The set began with 4 songs from "MIRROR", followed by the nice surprise of three songs from "le mode d'emploi" (2003), and then closing with a song from previous album "Nude Lumière" (2008). While some songs were performed with a backtrack, some were played acoustically specially arranged for the show.
Nicely paced with dahlia's soothing talk between some of the songs, this made for a very pleasant show. I hope there will be more opportunities to hear her sing live again soon, and I keep looking forward to more new music from this artist who I like a lot.
Set list: kūchū fuyū / KIKKAH ~boku no utsukushii hito~ / RENEWER / ciel blanc / the measles / lilic / flower / Scent
Music release news: Momoko Motion, Crazy Ken Band, Nomiya Maki, Monsieur Kamayatsu, PARKGOLF, Perfume, "Throw Away Your CDs Go Out To A Show"
This week's video:
"You Make Shibuya (Bon odori ver.)" sung by Nomiya Maki
Momoko Motion "Suppai Budou"
August 12, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 weeks #31-32 (July 29 to August 11)
Food: - Steak tartare and T-bone steak at BLT Steak, Roppongi
- Pork slider, spicy chicken, fish & chips and chocolate cake at Bespoque, Higashi-Nakano
- Ice cream at Dandelion Chocolate, Kuramae
- South Indian dinner at South Park, Asakusa
Music events: - On July 30 was an in-store event at HMV record shop Shinjuku Alta, featuring Wakita Monari, whose album "I am ONLY" had just been released! Her set focused on album tracks, excluding all of her previous singles with the exception of the last song, "Boy Friend". I've been enjoying this first solo album a lot!
Set list: Irony / Dippin' / inori no kotoba / nakimushi no Revolution / Boy Friend
- On Sunday August 6 I went to the World Happiness festival! It was the 10th edition, and the first time it was held at Kasai Rinkai Park. Some of the acts I especially enjoyed were (in order of appearance) Kotringo, Miyauchi Yuri, Itō Seikō with Dubforce (feat. Scha Dara Parr & Takagi Kan), Takenaka Naoto (with Takagi Kan and Araki Yūko), Denki Groove, Towa Tei, and Takahashi Yukihiro (feat. Suzuki Keiichi, Sunahara Yorhinori, Horie Hirohisa, ...). Takahashi Yukihiro's set featured actress Non for a cover of "Time Machine ni onegai" (Sadistic Mika Band), and the encore had all of Metafive plus Itō Seikō. That was a really great event! It was very very hot though, and I ended with a bit of a sunburn.
Denki Groove set list: Ningen President / Fallin' Down / Puerto Rico No HITorIKKO / Ichigo-Musume / Missing Beatz / Shameful / CATV2017
- And on August 11, a public holiday (since last year) called Mountain Day, was summer festival "Shibuya no Natsu-matsuri"! I was able to catch DJ Kawanabe Hiroshi and then a solo live performance by Tajima Takao (Original Love)! That was awesome! :)
Exhibition: Went to see solo exhibition 「1マス戻る」 by Okano Akiko (also known as the great curry chef at Tapir). This time all of her works were painted using just toothpicks! It's almost hard to believe as many of the pieces are quite large, with repetitive patterns that must have taken a lot of patience. The toothpicks she used were also turned into art pieces by being stuck together.
Music release news: Wednesday Campanella, Omisohan to Richakohan / Vanilla Beans, Kaseki Cider, WHY@DOLL, P.O.P, Sunaga Tatsuo (compilation), Emerson Kitamura
This week's videos:
P.O.P "Kiss Me"
Kaseki Cider "Kung-Fu Dance"
Wednesday Campanella "Yuta / Nero / Unico (Live)"