Blog - February 2015 Archives
February 2015 Archives
.28 Weekly revue: 2015 week #9 (February 21 to 27)
.22 Weekly revue: 2015 week #8 (February 14 to 20)
.15 Weekly revue: 2015 week #7 (February 7 to 13)
.07 Weekly revue: 2015 week #6 (January 31 to February 6)
.01 Weekly revue: 2015 week #5 (January 24 to 30)
February 28, 2015
Weekly revue: 2015 week #9 (February 21 to 27)
Food: - Katsudon at Zuichō, in Shibuya. My Brazilian Pizzicato friend Thiago's last meal before leaving Tokyo to go back home! Btw this was one of the best katsudon I've had. :)
- We went to Bespoque's 3rd anniversary party! The small restaurant was full of happy regulars and we stood for about 5 hours enjoying good food and drinks. Lots of fun!
- Sri Lankan curry lunch plate at Acala.naatha, Nakano
- Okonomiyaki at Tsuchiya, Shinjuku. There was an autograph of Marty Friedman on the wall. :)
Music release news: Denki Groove, "Yaba-kayō 2", Especia, Sugar's Campaign, Count Joke, Hideki Kaji x Yakenohara feat. Takagi Masakatsu, "HELLO!!! vol.8"
Playlist: frenesi, Denki Groove, capsule, Vanilla Beans, Bakubaku Dokin, Negicco, Reina & The Blue Valentines, Aira Mitsuki, esu-efu, Sugar's Campaign
This week's video: Denki Groove "Fallin' Down"
February 22, 2015
Weekly revue: 2015 week #8 (February 14 to 20)
Food: - Falafel hamburger steak set at Vespera's Falafel, Koenji
- Gratin and chocolate cake, and muffins at Magali @ Monami, Nishi-Ogikubo
- Saag & paneer curry at Ghungroo, Omotesando
- And more good food at fun fun birthday parties!
Music events: - On the night of Valentine's Day was DJ Fukutake's pre-release party for his upcoming compilation "Yava-kayō 2", and I went there with Brazilian Pizzicatomania friend Thiago! The event featured DJs Konishi Yasuharu, Sally Kubota and many more, with a live show by Nakano Aya. Konishi-san played two brand new remixes (one for my favorite two-piece idol group!), to be part of compilations that will be released in the following months. It was also a rare chance to see a DJ set by Sally Kubota (my favorite bassist, lately seen playing with The Scooters), if I remember right he played Hoshino Michiru's "kanata e" which always reminds me of Les 5-4-3-2-1. Nakano Aya also did a great show, in the middle of which she couldn't resist interviewing the foreigner standing in the center (me!), of course I said that I love Japanese kayōkyoku. :) DJ Fukutake's set was also awesome, full of groovy tracks! We finished the night watching DJ Jet Baron play Funkot tracks until the morning.
- Then on Friday was an event at Koenji Connection with Elektel friends Polymoog and Ueken. That was a lot of fun too! Ueken played a lot of Pizzicato-related songs, and Polymoog played live keys while DJing. He also gave a preview of new stuff in the works!
Music release news: Oops... :) Better luck next week!
Playlist: Le Grand Escroc, Reina & The Blue Valentines, Negicco, dip in the pool, Vanilla Beans, Hoshino Michiru, "Sushi Disco", Chromeo mix CD
This week's video: Noppal "I Luv MaryJane"
Pizzicato Five live in 1989!
February 15, 2015
Weekly revue: 2015 week #7 (February 7 to 13)
Happy Valentine's Day (a bit late)! I got these wonderful and delicious things! :D
Food: - Standing izakaya Kido fuji, Koenji
- Three different curries at a friend's curry & DJ event at Koenji Connection
- Mame (beans) course (azuki soup, hirame & hummus carpaccio, soy milk cottage cheese, chickpea tofu, dosa, sanbar, soy milk yogurt, sakekasu & chickpea okura dessert, soy milk masala tea) at Tapir, Shin-Okubo
- Various mutton dishes at Bistro Hitsujiya, Yoyogi
- Lamb curry at Bar Trench, Ebisu
Music event: - We had the opportunity to see singer Banks live at Ebisu Liquidroom. Great show, songs and voice! Her first album "Goddess" was released in Japan just this month.
Music release news: akiko, Tarte Tatin, Cupitron, Towa Tei, Noppal
Playlist: hitomitoi, Hanae, Reina & The Blue Valentines, Sugar's Campaign, Kinoco Hotel, dip in the pool
This week's video: CAPSULE "Another World"
February 7, 2015
Weekly revue: 2015 week #6 (January 31 to February 6)
Food: - Curry & biriyani at Halima Kebab Biriyani, Ueno
- Pork curry at Tiri Tiri, Shibuya
Music events: - First of all, this was Vanilla Beans week! Their new album "Vanilla Beans IV" was released on February 3, to coincide with setsubun (Wikipedia). Many in-store shows were held everyday (with even more this weekend), and I went to see two of these.
On release day, I dropped by the 5th floor of Marui Jam in Shibuya where there is a temporary Vanilla Beans shop (until this Sunday), and then we rushed across the street to Marui City where a mini-live was held. They sang two songs ("Please Me Darling" and "uchōten Girl"), and then they were joined by long-time friend Okite Porsche for some setsubun celebrations. Okite-san was the demon by default (of course), and Rena, Lisa and him threw hundreds of small bags of beans at the crowd to be taken home. :)
The 2nd show I saw was at Tsutaya in Nakano, where they often play a show on Thursday whenever they have a new release. There they sang "tasogare Highball", "Muscat Slope Love", "Fågel och vind" (my favorite so far on the new album) and "Please Me Darling".
- Rewind to Tuesday. After seeing Vanilla Beans we went to Organ b. where Matsuda "Chabe" Gakuji was holding his monthly event "Learner". This time the guest was Kaji Hideki, and the place was packed! It was my first time seeing a live show at Organ b., and there were chairs for the audience to sit. This event has a kind of rehearsal theme. Chabe (and guests) bring sheet music, or play songs they haven't played in years, or covers, etc. and they just play and sing without really practicing first. Actually it's a bit like seeing how they may practice at home, there's no decided set list, and it's ok to stop after a verse and start over. That was a lot of fun! Chabe and Kaji-kun collaborated for several songs too. They also talked about old Shibuya-kei days, when they both worked together at Zest Records in Shibuya, and Kaji-kun taught Chabe how to use the register! I'll definitely go again when the timing is good.
Music release news: Toshiyuki Yasuda, Reina & The Blue Valentines, Count Joke (jōdan hakushaku)
Playlist: Jintana & Emeralds, Sugar's Campaign, Shinohara Tomoe, Vanilla Beans, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu
This week's video: Reina & The Blue Valentines "hoshi furu oka"
Also check out Original Love's brand new song "Lover Man" here!
February 1, 2015
Weekly revue: 2015 week #5 (January 24 to 30)
Food: - Yammama at Thai restaurant Pappon Kitchen, Shibuya
- Belgian fries at Pommeke, Gaienmae
- Cookies from Ressources, Asakusa
- Drinks and cakes ("special fruit cake"!) from Sunday Bake Shop :)
- "Himalaya" meat at Takibiya, Shibuya
- Sphinx curry (complete with pyramid of rice) at Gee-ge, Shibuya (see below!)
Music event: - My first show of the year (except some ukulele and hula shows in Hawaii) was jazz band Emi Necozawa & Sphinx, live at Gee-ge in Shibuya! I've been a fan of Emi for many years (maybe since hearing her song on Sunaga t Experience's "Crouka"), and I was delighted when she started Sphinx a few years ago. Their live album "Pyramidia" (2012) is really awesome, and here finally came my first chance to see them live. All the musicians are truly skillful, and the show was just great! This evening was also a great opportunity to catch up with my Brazilian friend Thiago!
Partial set list: Salé / Zobi la mouche / Madrigal / Syncopation / Zo-wa-z' oiseaux / Röntgen ...
On the way out I got this 12" EP, which has a remix by Miura Makoto (aka Le Grand Escroc / Monsieur Mieurax, who was the DJ for the evening) and 12" mixes different from the album, and Emi's autograph too! Merci beaucoup! :)
- And a few days later at ESOW's own gallery/shop, Fūraidō in Asakusa, started an exhibition by KYNE, a street artist from Fukuoka who paints faces of beautiful imaginary girls. We went on opening day, and people there were talking about which of them they'd like to date and what kind of personality they might have. Until February 8!
On our way there, we had the chance to grab a limited edition copy of his book "Sui Sui" (Amazon), which comes binded in a wooden cover. It was found at Daikanyama Tsutaya, though maybe this was the last one? ESOW was so kind to autograph a full page of it!
Music release news: dip in the pool, Scha Dara Parr
This week's videos:
Scha Dara Parr "chūyō heibon Punch"
dip in the pool "Bali Ha'i"
Jane Jupiter x Chapman "Stargazing"